Thursday, January 8, 2009

" Listen to this prayer of mine, God; pay attention to what I’m asking. Answer me—you’re famous for your answers! Do what’s right for me. But don’t, please don’t, haul me into court; not a person alive would be acquitted there. The enemy hunted me down; he kicked me and stomped me within an inch of my life. He put me in a black hole, buried me like a corpse in that dungeon. I sat there in despair, my spirit draining away, my heart heavy, like lead. I remembered the old days, went over all you’ve done, pondered the ways you’ve worked, Stretched out my hands to you, as thirsty for you as a desert thirsty for rain. Hurry with your answer, God! I’m nearly at the end of my rope. Don’t turn away; don’t ignore me! That would be certain death. If you wake me each morning with the sound of your loving voice, I’ll go to sleep each night trusting in you. Point out the road I must travel; I’m all ears, all eyes before you. Save me from my enemies, God— you’re my only hope! Teach me how to live to please you, because you’re my God. Lead me by your blessed Spirit into cleared and level pastureland. Keep up your reputation, God—give me life! In your justice, get me out of this trouble! In your great love, vanquish my enemies; make a clean sweep of those who harass me. And why? Because I’m your servant." (Psalm 143, The Message).

We began our look at this Psalm in yesterday’s devotional. David is in trouble. Once again this Psalm finds him being persecuted and pursued. The historical setting seems to be set during the time of his son Absalom’s rebellion. It’s tough when people don’t understand you, it’s tougher still when it is someone in your family who has turned against you. No wonder David describes his experience as "I sat there in despair, my spirit draining away, my heart heavy, like lead."
I love the way The Message handles verse one, " Listen to this prayer of mine, God; pay attention to what I’m asking. Answer me— you’re famous for your answers!"

We need to remind ourselves from time to time that God does hear and God does answer our prayers. Occasionally I someone will complain to me that God never answers their prayers. Generally that is in explanation as to why they don’t pray or when they do pray they pray without expecting any real answer. The accusation that "God never answers my prayers," whether we realize it or not is more of a self-condemning statement than it is of a God or prayer condemning statement! I for one know first hand that, as the Psalmist declares, God is famous for His answers!

In this Psalm I love the way David deals with his depression. When we find ourselves in difficult times, most of us (myself included) tend to focus on the trouble at hand. We study it, we examine it, we try to look at it from every angle, we stress and worry over things we can’t change, and in the process we sink lower and lower emotionally.

David here gives us an alternative. Remember, he is in a real mess. His son Absalom has risen up against him, doing vile things to embarrass him, claiming the throne of Israel as his own, and now, in a political coup he is pursuing his father with the intent of killing him. Pretty desperate situation. David, who could have crushed him at the on-set of all of this, in tenderness has instead chosen to flee not only to protect himself but also to protect his son (this we see from his orders to his men not to kill Absalom should they encounter him).

What does David do? First of all he recognizes the reality of the situation. We don’t find David denying his pain as some today would have us do. He doesn’t say, "I’m happy in the Lord. Nothing is wrong. Everything is going my way. I don’t claim this pain!" No! Instead we find David confronting in a very real and straight-forward way the issues at hand. But he doesn’t dwell on them; he doesn’t stay in the valley of despair, instead he chooses to climb the hill of gratitude and he does that by focusing on what God has done for him (and others) in the past!
"I remembered the old days, went over all you’ve done, pondered the ways you’ve worked, Stretched out my hands to you, as thirsty for you as a desert thirsty for rain."

I don’t know what struggle you may be dealing with today. Let me encourage you to consider David’s approach. Don’t attempt to deny or hide your pain, but don’t let your mind dwell there either. Instead, go to Scripture and study the ways God delivered His people in the past. Remember, while these reports of deliverance are wonderful to remember, they weren’t instantaneous. Sometimes I fear we miss so many of God’s answers because they do sometimes come more as a gradual dawning rather than a sudden burst of light. Don’t think this gradual dawning is any less spectacular or any less wonderful than the instant display. Wait for Him. He knows what is best, and as hard as it may be at times, know this: you can trust His timing to be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment