Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Table Lands

“1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” (Psalm 23 NIV).

David has not changed illustrations beginning in verse 5. The table as it is used here most likely refers to the high summer pastures which were known as “the table lands.” In these pastures grew all sorts of lush vegetation — some good, some harmful to the sheep. The shepherd would prepare these pastures by walking through them and carefully picking those plants which would be detrimental to the sheep. Similarly the Good Shepherd knows what is good for you, and He himself is preparing your lot for you.

Anointing with oil, speaks of the Shepherd’s provision for the health and comfort of his sheep.
The lush table-lands of summer were not without danger. Some were big like mountain-lions, bears and wolves. Others were small like flies, gnats and ticks. It was these small irritations which would drive the sheep to utter distraction. So the Good Shepherd would anticipate those needs and meet them by applying regularly an ointment whose main ingredient was olive oil upon the sheep.

In like manner the Good Shepherd cares for every need of His own--big and small. He knows and sees those things which are troubling to you, and He draws you close by His side and anoints you with the balm of Gilead to meet that need.

No comments:

Post a Comment