Monday, January 4, 2010

The Prayer of David

“Guide me in your truth and teach me for you are the God of my salvation; I wait for you all day long.” (Psalm 25:5 HCSB).

A short while back, the Prayer of Jabez made a stir in the Christian world. Do you recall that prayer? The brief story of Jabez is found in 1 Chronicles 4:9-10: “9 Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, ‘I gave birth to him in pain.’ 10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.’ And God granted his request.” (1 Chronicles 4:9-10 NIV– emphasis on prayer mine).

I wonder what would happen if we committed this prayer of David to heart and sincerely began each day with its utterance? “Guide me in your truth and teach me for you are the God of my salvation; I wait for you all day long.” I wonder how this prayer if sincerely offered (by that I mean that we pray with prayer with a heart intent on responding to the guidance that God then gives us) might change me, the church, the community, the nation and the world? I’m going to try it. Will you try it with me for the next 30 days?

No comments:

Post a Comment