Monday, May 31, 2010

Wait on God

Thanks for your patience. My surgery was successful and I am well along the road to recovery. Today’s TFTD is quite appropriate: “I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” (Psalm 27:13-14 NIV). The Message translates this passage: “I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”

I don’t know what issues you may face today. Perhaps, like me, you are struggling with a health related issue, or maybe you are having difficulties on the job. Maybe you are struggling with financial or family issues. Whatever your struggle, “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”

Having said that, let me assure you that waiting on the Lord is sometimes one of the most difficult disciplines of the Christian life! Had I been in Moses sandals for instance, I think I would have advised the people of Israel to “swim for it!” How difficult it would be to stand still when certain destruction was coming swiftly upon you!

You may have heard the story of little Billy, who when pressed by his mother as to what he had learned that day in Sunday School, responded, “Well, we learned that Moses was stuck by the Red Sea. Pharaoh’s army was coming toward them, so Moses called for the Israelis Air Force to lay down a ring of fire to keep Pharaoh back. Then he called for the Israelis Army Corp. Of Engineers to build a bridge across the sea. He also had the Israelis demolition crews place high explosives in critical places along the bridge. When that was done, he ordered the people to cross. After they got on the far side, he called off the Jets. Then, when Pharaoh’s army was half-way across the bridge, he blew it, sending them all into the sea and drowning them!”

Billy’s mother was shocked. She said, “Billy, is that what they really taught you today?” To which the young lad sheepishly replied, “Well ..... no. But you should have heard what they tried to get us to believe!”

You know, I fear there is a little Billy in all of us isn’t there? Over and over again I experience God’s goodness in my life, yet, sadly, over and over again, when the chips are down, I find myself plotting and planning and many time fretting over circumstances over which I have no control.

Whatever your situation today: “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”

No comments:

Post a Comment