Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Take the Long Term View

In our last TFTD we looked at Psalm 18:4-6 “4 The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. 5 The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. 6 In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.” (NIV).

David was in a mess. He felt so bad he thought the sentence of death itself was upon him! Ever felt that way? Maybe not that death had you in its grip, but certainly that maybe you'd be better off dead. I hate to admit it, but been there done that. That is where David finds himself in this Psalm.

He does what all of us do in such situations, he cries out. But notice that his outcry has a purpose. He cries out in a prayer to God. Cries of frustration, anger, fear, may bring us temporary relief; they may be cathartic, but only the cry of faith brings deliverance!

Now, I say all of this to point you to today's thought: "16 He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. 17 He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. 18 They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. 19 He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me." (Psalm 18:16-19 NIV).

On the authority of God’s Word I can tell you, God wants to do that for you today. How can I say such a thing? How do I know God wants to deliver you?

First I can say that because the Bible teaches that God is changeless. The same God that rescued David is the same God who can rescue us when we cry to Him.

Second I can say this because the Bible teaches that those of us who know Jesus Christ as our personal Savior are now beloved children in the family of God and the Bible says in light of that relationship, “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16 NIV).

Third I can say this because the Bible tells us that “God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Thessalonians 5:9 NIV).

Fourth I can say this because God promises to hear the cry of everyone who will call out to Him and “he who believes in Him shall not be disappointed.” (1 Peter 2:6 NASB). You have God’s promise on that!

But let me quickly add something here. This promise does not mean that there will be no battles, no floods, no tears or heartaches or struggles. This promise does not mean, as so many want to make it mean today, that your reward is here on this sin-scared earth.

Never forget that God’s choice people suffered; not everything worked out “happily ever after” on this earth. Even our Lord’s victory came only through His willingness to trust the Father’s guidance even as He went to the cross. That was not a pleasant road.

The fact of the matter is, this world is not our final destination and as such, God is not about to grant our every temporal desire at the expense of our eternal well-being. He is not.

The reason some become disillusioned with God and His promises is because they are myopic–short-sighted. They are only looking to the “now” and they’ve lost sight of eternity. God hasn’t and He won’t. He will not sacrifice your eternal good for a momentary happiness no matter how much you may plead.

Don’t think this is an all is well message in terms of God’s immediate deliverance. It is not. However, understand that it is an all is well message in terms of God’s gracious and eternal plan. We win. You can count on that because you have God’s Word–in writing with His signature–on it.

Doubt any of that? Look at the cross. “32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” (Romans 8:32 NIV). There’s light at the end of the tunnel, and it is not a train, nor is it simply better days ahead, it is the light of the glory of God! Won’t you come to Him? Trade your burdens for the joy of the Lord. Give it up. Come and receive the mercy you know you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment