Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Almost Gone

“4 The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. 5 The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. 6 In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.” (Psalm 18:4-6 NIV).

David was in a mess. Look at verses 4 & 5 again and consider their impact. David was convinced that he was standing on the edge of death door, toes curled over the stoop in a desperate effort to maintain his balance. One can picture him on the edge of a precipice, leaning out over the abyss, arms wildly swinging to regain his lost balance, and a flood quickly rushing up from behind to finish the fall. Bottom line: it was over. He was done for, the grave had already reached up for him; death had him in its grip. All was lost. . . .

But wait! David doesn’t simply fall to oblivion, he doesn’t cry out in sheer panic, his cries have purpose; his cries are a prayer and God hears him!

God always hears the prayers of His people. Always. He hears the cry of your heart today. He loves you and He longs to rescue you. He is only waiting for your cry for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment