Monday, August 31, 2009

Life's Valleys

“I love you, O Lord, my strength. 2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. 3 I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.” (Psalm 18:1-3 NIV).

What a great way to start the morning, “I love you, O Lord, my strength.” There are times when it doesn’t seem there is much to shout about; there are other times when we want to shout God’s praise at the top of our lungs. According to the forward this Psalm is a Psalm of David when God delivered him from the hand of Saul.

Have you ever stopped to consider that the valleys in life are necessary for the mountain top experiences? All of us want the mountain tops but we don’t want the valleys or the climbs necessary to get there.

What does David thank God for? For deliverance; for protection. However, it seems we sometimes forget that such responses of praise come only after hard fought battles. In this case, David is running from the King and Army of Israel, God’s anointed and God’s Army! How would you like to be in that situation? A fugitive being hunted by those who considered themselves the people of God. Tack onto the normal fear of such a hunted man the self-doubt that had to come knowing God’s man (which is how David viewed Saul) was after him. Think too of the isolation he must have felt. People are people, and whether or not the believed in David’s innocence the haunting reality was an underlying suspicion. Had to be.

Perhaps you are going through a difficult time as you read this thought. Let me encourage you, “Hang in there.” You may not see it now, but there is always light at the end of the tunnel, because at the end of the tunnel stands an all-powerful God. Look to Him and find the strength you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment