Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Benefits of Belief

“7 The wise counsel God gives when I’m awake is confirmed by my sleeping heart. 8 Day and night I’ll stick with God; I’ve got a good thing going and I’m not letting go. 9 I’m happy from the inside out, and from the outside in, I’m firmly formed. 10 You canceled my ticket to hell— that’s not my destination! 11 Now you’ve got my feet on the life path, all radiant from the shining of your face. Ever since you took my hand, I’m on the right way.” (Psalm 16:7-11 MSG)

When God takes hold of a person, watch out! The excitement’s just begun! Notice the benefits to those who walk with God. First, we are priviledged to receive the wise counsel of the Wonderful Counselor. Second, we have a happiness that is deep within, a happiness “from the inside out, and from the outside in.” The happiness God gives is not a temporary fleeting happiness, but a happiness that wells up from within.

Years ago, I had the privilege of making my first visit to the British Isles. I was a student at Moody Bible Institute and President George Sweeting, the Moody Chorale, and a group of us evangelism majors retraced the footsteps of D.L. Moody, marking the centennial anniversary of his work there. It was a wonderful experience.

While we were there I was enamored by the castles. They were not at all like I expected, single buildings, but some were huge walled cities within the city. Most castles we saw on that trip were in ruin, but some remained as strong as the day they were built. I began to wonder why. The answer was not long in coming.

The castles that were in ruin had their water supply located outside of the castle walls. In time of war, all the enemy had to do was cut their water supply. Under siege the castle would have to surrender and the enemy would dismantle it to keep it from being a problem in the future. Those castles that were still standing had built their structures right on top of the water supply! No enemy could cut it off.

Those who are in Christ find a “water supply” that springs up from within (See John 4:14). They have a true happiness. A happiness “from the inside out.”

There’s more. Not only does the Lord Jesus provide for us in this life, but our eternal destination is covered! “You canceled my ticket to hell . . .now you’ve got my feet on the life path.” Wonderful! What more could anyone want?

The late great Christian and Missionary Alliance Pastor, A.W. Tozer wrote, “Bible reading Christians should be the last persons on earth to give way to hysteria. They are redeemed from their past offenses and kept in their present circumstances by an all-powerful God, and their future is safe in his hands. God has promised to support them in the flood, protect them in the fire, feed them in the famine, shield them against their enemies, hide them in His safe chambers until the indignation is past and receive them into eternal tabernacles.” (Tozer: This World: Playground or Battleground).

Those of you who know Christ. Smile. You have everything in the world to be happy about! Those who receive these thoughts who may not yet have that personal commitment to Christ, what is keeping you from it? You have nothing to lose but your guilt, shame, sin, and load.

No comments:

Post a Comment