Tuesday, June 15, 2010

When God Seems Absent

“In my alarm I said, ‘I am cut off from your sight!’ Yet you heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help.” (Psalm 31:22 NIV).

Difficulties come, troubles arise, and even God’s most faithful saints succumb to fear and panic. You are not alone. In His darkest hour even the sinless Son of God cried out, “My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). So if you find yourself in a period of darkness and doubt, take heart, you are in good company!

Blameless and upright Job (Job 1:1) of whom even God said, “There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.” (Job 1:8 NIV), even this man laments, “ Then Job replied: ‘Even today my complaint is bitter; his hand is heavy in spite of my groaning. If only I knew where to find him; if only I could go to his dwelling! . . . But if I go to the east, he is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find him. When he is at work in the north, I do not see him; when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him.’” (Job 23:1-3; 8-9 NIV). I think at some time in our Christian lives, most of us are familiar with such feelings. Job however goes on to remind us of an important theological truth: “ But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.” (Job 23:10 NIV). We don’t have to always see where God is or understand how He is leading, but we do need to remember that even when we lose sight of Him, He never loses sight of us! He hears our cries and dispatches mercy!

What is it that you struggle with today? What fear? What insecurity? What problem? God knows all about it and you can be sure that He who rules the universe is at work both for your good and His glory. Trust Him. Surrender to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment