Sunday, June 13, 2010

When Lies are Told

“ I have heard many insults. Terror is all around me. They make plans against me and want to kill me. Lord, I trust you. I have said, ‘You are my God.’ My life is in your hands. Save me from my enemies and from those who are chasing me. Show your kindness to me, your servant. Save me because of your love. Lord, I called to you, so do not let me be disgraced. Let the wicked be disgraced and lie silent in the grave. With pride and hatred they speak against those who do right. So silence their lying lips.” (Psalm 31:13-18 NCV).

David is in trouble. But the trouble he is in does not appear to be military trouble but personal trouble–rumors are being spread about him, lies are being told, and, as you read this chapter you discover that those lies have separated him from friends and family. Slander will do that. People may not really believe what they hear, but well, let’s just say they have their questions; their doubts, and so they distance themselves just to stay above the fray. Never do they stop to realize the isolation--the horrible feeling of aloneness; abandonment–that the victim, their “friend” is undergoing. David, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, marvelously catches and verbalizes what such experiences are like.

We don’t know the circumstances of this particular Psalm. Experience leads me to believe that there was some kernel of truth in the cornfield of lies. That’s the way it usually is. I feel for David. As a pastor I know what it is to suffer when someone gets upset and begins to spread lies. The desire to defend myself is there, but the knowledge that to do so would require me to divulge confidential information prevents it. Over my years of ministry I am convinced that those who spread the lies count on such integrity.

I recall one such incident where I was in deep trouble because of the lies of one individual. I called a meeting of my leaders to deal with the problem, and this individual proceeded to attack me in front of them all. The scary thing for me is that I could tell they believed the individual!

Now I had dealt with the craftiness and deceit of this particular individual before and been harmed by it. This particular time I asked my source if I could use her name if it became necessary. She graciously granted her permission. After a tirade of thirty minutes or so when it was obvious that the individual had succeeded in swaying my leaders to their side, the individual smugly smirked, “If what you were saying were true, you’d be able to give me the name of your source.” The thrill of victory was evident on the individual’s face. I was done for. There was no way I could break such a confidence and undermine this individual’s story.

However, with the sources permission, I simply gave her name. The thrill of victory look quickly gave way to an agony of defeat expression, not only on the face of the individual but also on the faces of my leaders. The individual stammered, “She wasn’t suppose to tell you.”

That was an unusual occurrence. Normally I have to accept the criticism in silence because of confidentiality. I know that there have been times when my reputation and ministry has been damaged because of this. I identify with David. I am grateful that at such times I can run to God. He knows all the facts and there is tremendous comfort knowing that “my life is in (His) hands.” (v. 15a).

Do you have that confidence today? Perhaps you are stinging from the hateful stories of jealous co-workers or former friends. The stories have you jumpy; uneasy–anxious. Take it to the Lord. He understands, He cares and He has your life in His almighty hands.

Some of the best advice I’ve ever received comes from an unknown source who wrote, “When men speak ill of thee, live so no one will believe them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment