Monday, July 13, 2009

A Cry for Justice

“Our Lord, judge the nations! Judge me and show that I am honest and innocent.” (Psalm 7:8 CEV).

All of us want justice. David cries, “Lord, judge the nations!” And all God’s people say “Amen.” But suddenly David asks for something else, something that I am not sure I would be so quick to pray, “Judge me.”

If God were to judge you today, what would he see? An “honest and innocent,” person or a dishonest and guilty one? Certainly none of us left to ourselves can claim to be honest and innocent before the eyes of Him who sees everything including our thoughts and intentions (See Hebrews 4:12-13). That is why we need Christ. Only Christ can and does make one “honest and innocent” before the searching eyes of the Father. That is a positional standing that everyone who knows Christ as personal Savior has. I don’t understand it, but I am grateful for it!

But that is not the honesty and innocence that David is writing about in this passage. He is talking about a practical innocence, an innocence that gives him the courage to come before the Throne of God and plead his case. Do you have that freedom today? Is your life an open book? Can you with complete confidence say, “Lord judge the nations and judge me?”

Truth be told, someday God will judge the nations and He will judge each and every individual. Those of us who are in right standing with Him through Jesus don’t need to fear that we might lose our eternal home, but we do need to fear that if we are not living in integrity that we might lose our eternal rewards. Never forget that it is important how you live!

As I write this particular thought, I have been enjoying the Olympic games on television. It’s been exciting to watch. When someone from my country wins gold, I feel a sense of pride myself. I am reminded that the judges of those games sit on what the ancient Greeks called the “Bema” seat. The Bible uses that same word in 2 Corinthians5:10: “For we must all appear before the judgment seat (Bema) of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.” Are you playing for the gold or are you just playing around?

No comments:

Post a Comment