Monday, November 8, 2010

“Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit. When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Selah Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord”— and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.” (Psalm 32:1-5 NIV).

What a marvelous thing to know your sins are forgiven! On the other hand, what horrible consequences we face when we try to hide something from God. The Bible says, “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” (Hebrews 4:13 NIV).

If a person is a believer, the eternal consequences of sin have been tempered–that is, the believer does not have to worry about eternal damnation (Hell). The Bible says, “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 8:1 NIV). Unfortunately the enemy of our souls has convinced many that since heaven is our destiny we shouldn’t concern ourselves with sin; that all that really matters is that we are going to heaven and therefore we can live safely sinful lives–as long as they aren’t big sins. Such thinking is a lie. A little sin is like a little cancer, both will kill you.

But what do I mean when I state that the eternal consequences of sin have only been tempered? Believers will face the judgment seat of Christ and at that time unconfessed sins, inactivity for Christ, any failure to comply with the Biblical standard will be used to determine the rewards or lack thereof we will receive from Christ (See 2 Corinthians 5:10). So even there we are not off ‘scot-free.’ How we live our lives after accepting Christ matters. It matters to you but more importantly, it may be the difference between eternal life or eternal damnation to those watching us. Think about it.

Now if that doesn’t motivate you to godly living, consider the immediate consequences of hidden sin in the believers life. First, unconfessed sin is unforgiven sin and it is this unforgiven sin that will meet us at Christ’s judgment seat. Second, unconfessed sin weighs down the heart; it breaks the spirit and can even harm our health!

Here’s what I know (from experience), God knows what He is talking about (in His Word). When I follow His instructions (though it may seem to go against everything I think I know), I succeed. When I tamper with those instructions, I fail.

One more thing: confession in the Biblical sense is not mere acknowledgment. Confession means that I “agree with God” on the issue; that I see the sin from His point of view. Confession, therefore, by its very nature involves repentance. Repentance means a 1800 turn. I am going one way away from God now I turn and go the opposite way toward God. I have a change of mind about the sin or issue that results in a change of heart over that issue (I lose the desire for it), which results in a change of behavior. The Bible reminds us to “Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.” (Matthew 3:8 NIV).

If you really want the joy of salvation, live like one who has been saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment