Wednesday, November 10, 2010

God's Guidance

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.” (Psalm 32:8 NIV).

I like the way the New Living Translation renders this verse: “The Lord says, ‘I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.’” The Living Bible (paraphrase) renders the last phrase of this verse, “I will watch your progress.”

Amazing! The God of the Universe cares enough to guide me along each day! I find the thought hard to even comprehend! It is not that He knows the general direction I’ve gone, He promises to guide each step of those who will respond to Him in faith.

There are times in life when the road is rough. I’ve been through many a dark day. There have been times when I was convinced I was on my own and, if I am honest, there were times when I was so mad at God I wished I was on my own–I thought that God had somehow really messed up certain things (Ah, the deception of the sinful heart!).

What I know is this: God doesn’t mess up, He never makes mistakes, and if, for one minute I can get my eyes off this temporary existence and realize that I was created for eternity, the temporary set-backs I think I’ve faced are really important detours along God’s “best pathway for (my) life.”

However, be careful. Let’s not forget that the setting of this verse is in the middle of a penitential Psalm. Do not make the mistake of thinking that sin is a part of that pathway. It is not. Sin will get you off the pathway, at which time God may bring you back kicking and screaming (see verse 9) on the other hand, He who controls the universe may elect just to take you out (see 1 Corinthians 11:30). Never presume upon the goodness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment