Thursday, October 13, 2011

“Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.”  (Psalm 34:8 NIV).

“Discover for yourself that the Lord is kind.  Come to Him for protection and you will be glad.”  (CEV).

Have you ever had the experience of trying to get a child to taste some new food?  At time it can be maddening.  They sit there with the predetermined mind-set of dislike.  Lips closed tightly, that little head turning as ferociously as it can away from the approaching spoon.  It’s comical.  Then the taste.  One of two things happen: either the child spits it out without giving it a chance, or their little eyes light up as they discover the joy of this new delicacy.  Suddenly they can’t get enough.

A similar thing happens with faith.  It’s amazing to me how stubbornly we persist in unbelief insisting on setting in our misery when a simple taste of faith will convince us that this is what we needed all along.

Psalm 34:8 is the best apologetic for faith there is!   Subjective?  Certainly before the “taste” it would seem so.  But once one has made the discovery it becomes apparent in our souls of the very objective nature of our faith.

Permit me to illustrate.  If I were to tell you that when I was in third grade (back with Fred Flinstone and the boys), that I fell and horribly broke my right wrist so that the hand hung down at a 90 degree angle from the arm while my fingers curved back and touched the wrist, you would probably doubt that account.  You might argue the physical impossibility of such a picture, assuming that I was exaggerating the facts.  You might look at my wrist and hand today and state, “They look fine.  There is no physical limitations, obviously you imagined that experience since all the physical evidence shows facts contrary to your belief.”

Now suppose I produced my X-ray taken at Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh.  The date was clearly marked, my name was on that film, the break was clearly seen, along with the angle of the wrist and curve of the fingers.  You might look at that film and argue, “Hmmm . . . you know this doesn’t look anything like you.  I think it is a forgery!”

We could argue the facts all day.  I could say, “Look at the evidence!”  While you maintained that the evidence was forged; a fake.  You might even try to explain the new advances in medical technology and argue that things have changed greatly since that antiquated experience.  I could tell you of the anesthesia, a gas that was administered by placing what looked like a strainer filled with cotton over my mouth and nose, and you could argue that there was no such think as that form of anesthesia, since you have never experienced it.

Bottom line: I know the story to be true because I lived it!  You could try to convince me all day that I was delusional, but it would never work.  Why?  I experienced the whole frightful ordeal!  While you can argue that my experience was “subjective,” it was very real and objective to me.  I remember that cold, snowy Sunday evening when it happened.  I remember the grey recliner I laid upon until my father returned home to take me to the hospital.  I can recollect the sounds and smells and sights of that horrible night.  I experienced it.

The best argument for faith is not the arguments of Josh McDowell, Lee Strobel, Ravi Zacharias and other notable apologists, the best argument for faith is experience: “Taste and see that the Lord is good; or “Discover for yourself that the Lord is kind.  Come to Him for protection and you will be glad.”

Perhaps you are reading this devotional and you’ve never had a personal experience with the loving God of the Universe.  I want to invite you, “Taste and see that the Lord is good. . . .” You will be pleasantly surprised.  Christianity is a harsh, deny yourself religion; it is a wonderful, discover the love of Christ relationship.  Come to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment